Friday, January 26, 2018

are we tuning into robots ?

"I can't take it anymore."
'Cafe P' was full, every table on the footpath was taken.  I had just fought my way through the hubbub and found Madame P  sitting at a small table between a window and a Steinway piano.
She looked at me, motioned to the chair opposite her and sipped a strange smelling tea saying nothing, just looking at me.
"I mean: Are we supposed to just follows  rules and policies, like a machine ? Are we all supposed to be human machines, is that it ?"

My Cuppochino arrived.
Still she only looked at me, scanned the tables on the footpath, the steps of Parliament house across the road and smiled at me.
"What do you think ?" I pushed her.

She took a deep breath and said "Yes".
She poured herself another cup of that tea, the scent of Cinnamon and Cloves wafted across the table.
"Happy now?", she smiled a challenge at me.
"No !  -- Come on, everything is reduced to indicators and standard decisions. Where is the humanity ? Where is the caring ? No room for that anymore...." I let out a deep breath.
Elbows on the table, cradling her hot cup in both hands, breathing in the steam, Mme P waited for me to finish.
I continued, "my mum's sick. In the hospital they just do tests with machines, read the numbers and push her down this path or that path. It's all standard protocol. She is on a conveyor belt.
'Enter here, pay there, go left, right, left, depending on the results.... die or exit over there.'  Even the doctors can't do anything. "
Mme P nodded and looked at me like I was made of glass and she could see everything.

It felt like a physical force.
That's how I know awareness is a kind of force.
Maybe one day it'll be 'discovered' and then we'll be allowed to believe it officially ?
"Go on," I said, "ask me", I smiled at her.
Mme P nodded slowly, "so what's your question ?"
"Forget it, I know your answer."
Mme P chuckled and shrugged, "You're right, it's been the trend for quite some time".
"So what do we do about it ?"
Mme P shrugged, looked at the busy tables of her cafe outside and back at me, "you tell me".
"I don't know."
"Same here."
"Noooo. You always have something to tell me, some way to make sense of it."
"Things have been going this way for some time, and one day they won't."
"Arrgghhhh.... ", I couldn't believe she fed me such banalities.
"That applies to everything," I let out a deep breath, "so we just sit here and do nothing, is that it ?"
"Are we following procedures now ?" Mme P looked into my eyes, "or would you like standard sympathy and commiseration protocol 101 ?", she chuckled.
"Oh."
Mme P pushed her chair back at an angle, crossed her legs and leaned back looking out at the crowded tables of her cafe.
"Why?"
"Why what ?"
"The things you complained about ?"
"I wasn't... Ok I was.  You mean why are we turning ourselves into robots ?"
Mme P nodded, sipped from her tea and gave the tiniest of nods.
"We don't trust our humanness, its subjective, unreliable and unscientific.  Everything has to be repeatable, predictable."
.......... to be continued....
Jan2018.





























References:
- Steemit asks if humans are becoming robots

No comments:

Post a Comment